Henry Rauch specialized in hydrogeology and karst geology. He also researched the environmental impacts of carbon dioxide sequestration on groundwater and soil
Dr. Rauch continues to serve on the West Virginia Surface Mine Board and Quarry Board and continues to work on publishing his past WVU research. His personal activities include research on his family genealogy, and publishing true crime stories, some of which involve forensic geology. He continues to give public lectures on these and other subjects.
• BS degree, chemistry and geology, Alfred University, 1965
• PhD degree, geochemistry and hydrogeology, Penn State University, 1972
• Assistant Professor of Geology, 1970 – 1976
• Associate Professor of Geology, 1976 – 1984
• Full Professor of Geology, 1984 – 2015
• Emeritus Full Professor of Geology, 2015 – present
- Lithologic Controls on the Development of Solution Porosity in Carbonate Aquifers; by H. Rauch and W.B. White, in Water Resources Research, 1970, v. 6, n. 4, pp. 1175 1192.
- Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Karst Geology and Hydrology; 1974, West Virginia Geological and Economic Survey; 187 p., edited by H. Rauch and E. Werner.
- Dissolution Kinetics of Carbonate Rocks: I. Effects of Lithology on Dissolution Rate; by H.W. Rauch and W.B. White,in Water Resources Research, 1977, v. 13, no. 2, pp. 381 394.
- Changes in the Chemistry of Shallow Groundwater Related to the 2008 Injection of CO2 at the ZERT Field Site, Bozeman, Montana; by Yousif K. Kharaka, James J. Thordsen, Evangelos Kakouros, Gil Ambats, William N. Herkelrath, Sarah Beers, Jens T. Birkholzer, John A. Apps, Nicholas F. Spycher, Liange Zheng, Robert C. Trautz, Henry W. Rauch, Kadie S. Gullickson; Invited Special Issue of the refereed journal Environmental Earth Sciences (formerly Environmental Geology), published online Dec. 19, 2009, DOI 10.1007/s12665-009-0401-1, and in print March 2010, Vol. 60, p. 273-284.
- The Bizarre Story of Caver Peter Hauer, an Innocent Victim or Murderer; by Henry Rauch, in Journal of Spelean History, 2018, v. 52, n. 2, pp. 3-33.
- Adventures of a U.S. Navy Seabee, 1942-1945: A World War II Memoir, by Frank Wademan Coughtry, edited by Henry W. Rauch, 2016, Amazon.com and US Kindle Store, 81 p.